5.07.2006

Semantics

I want to draw a distinction between logical reasoning and common sense. I notice that a lot of people use these names interchangeably. I use both techniques to analyze the world and justify my thinking, but I am careful about which one I use for which. I think it is important to use logic to justify one's thinking, whereas the lesser accurate but useful common sense serves well for analyzing the world. The comparison:

Common sense: makes use of cultural norms and a general overview of social framework to place into context the new idea. A couple of great examples: The neighborhood is rough. Take your pepperspray. The Islamic tradition, preoccupied with following law carefully, often requires elders (who are specially trained in techniques of common sense) to take new, unencountered situations and frame them within a metaphor that fits already encountered situations in order to determine the moral standing of the new situation within Islamic law or Sharia. The cost of healthcare makes having good health insurance not just a safe bet, but common sense. I use this to make sense of and navigate my world successfully.

Logical reasoning: makes use of mathematical operators and standard procedures for generalizing statements into arguments. Those arguments can be tested by strict procedures for "soundness, truthfulness, and validity." It is not necessary, in general, to know what the statements even are in order to see if the argument "makes sense." At no time would anyone use their feelings to interpret whether something is true or not. I use this kind of reasoning to determine whether my beliefs and opinions make sense, since it is hard to remove oneself from one's opinions or beliefs to evaluate them without a strict objective process.

Usually, when someone says someone else's logic is bad, what they mean is that person has little or no common sense.

No comments: