9.21.2009

mabon


Tomorrow is the 2009 Autumn Equinox, first day of Autumn, the night and day stand equal. Celebrated as a harvest festival by the Celts, who honor the death of the sun god on this day of magic due to the rare balance of light and dark, they take time for thanks and learning, and repairing all things. For me, it will be Father's Day; the day I honor the memory of our family patriarch with some sentimental tradition. For the first several years, I planted a plant. But, since I don't have a green thumb, I found it too depressing when the plant subsequently "went to heaven." So, now I celebrate with best medium ever: FOOD. What is more synonymous with family and tradition than FOOD! Of course. And it doesn't go to heaven. It turns to poop, but we can ignore that part.


So the last few years, I have sought out an A&W and gotten a root beer freeze. This seems perfect, because it reminds me of all those trips in the big truck on Wednesday, passing the big mug and stopping in for some royal-named burger (Queen, King, etc) and a root beer freeze. It reminds me of dad's contagious smile, sweet tooth, and inner child. This year, like last year, I am going to make them at home. Partly because I still have some root beer left over from last year and largely because it lets me spend more time in the memory. It has been 15 years without the man. Hard to believe.

1 comment:

Mckay said...

This is a day of rememberance for me also.. i have set aside the morning before work and looked at old photo's. Lots of memories.. I will try to take the day and use any examples I can to live my life more like dad's... I so wish I could talk to him.. (now more than ever!)... and remember.. every day above ground is a great day..